What is Wheatgrass?
Wheatgrass is young wheat
which is sprouted and grown for about 7-10 days. The deep green cereal grass is harvested (cut) and juiced in specially designed wheatgrass juicers
. Thousands of health-conscious people drink wheatgrass juice every day as an easy way of getting some deep green vegetables into their diet.
The Benefits of Wheatgrass Juice
The Most Commonly Reported Wheatgrass Benefits:
Drinking Wheatgrass Regularly May Also:
- Gives Energy - Feel More Alert & Awake
- Has an Anti-Aging Effect - Healthier Hair, Skin, & Nails
- Improvement in Overall Physical & Mental Health
- Protect Against Cancer-Causing Chemicals
- Rid the Body of Toxins (like Heavy Metals)
- Stabilize Blood Sugar
Levels & Alkalinity
- Improve Fertility
- Improve Digestion
- Ease Pain
- Aid Nearly Every Body System!
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Wheatgrass is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Wheatgrass is a food, not a drug or dietary supplement. Perfect Foods does not provide medical advise.
Why Wheatgrass Works
Wheatgrass works with your body by providing it with whole, live nutrients. This allows the body to rid itself of toxins and heal itself.
The Nutrients in Wheatgrass
Fresh wheatgrass juice is known to have all the nutrients necessary to sustain life. Its vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and phytonutrients all occur in their simplest forms, require minimal digestive activity, and are balanced by nature.
- Vitamin C - As much as citrus fruits.
- Vitamin A - As much as dark green lettuce or carrots.
- All the Minerals Found in Healthy Soil (over 100) - Calcium, Iron, Potassium, Magnesium, etc.
- Trace Minerals - Selenium, Zinc, etc.
- Essential Amino Acids - "The building blocks of proteins".
- "Live" Enzymes - Enzymes carry out many bodily functions, but many become deactivated when cooked. That's why it's essential to have live, raw plant-based foods in your diet.
- Chlorophyll - Wheatgrass has lots of chlorophyll, accounting for its deep green color. Several studies suggest chlorophyll could have many health benefits, but in general the greener your food the better!
- Glucose - The simple sugar. This accounts for wheatgrass' naturally sweet taste. This is a safe and healthy sugar which can easily be used by the body and provide instant energy.
- Thousands of phytonutrients (plant nutrients), only found in raw produce. These nutrients are often difficult to identify because of their small size, so you won't find them on a typical nutrients list. How they interact with the human body when consumed is also not well understood. Its very likely that these nutrients are the true reason wheatgrass, sprouted greens, and other raw produce are so beneficial for us.
- Antioxidants - Some of the phytonutrients include antioxidants which can illiminate free radicals that damage our body's tissues. A study suggests (Phytother. Res. 20, 2006) wheatgrass contains higher antioxidant levels than typical vegetables.
How to Use Wheatgrass
Drinking Wheatgrass Juice:
You won't "overdose" on wheatgrass juice, but drinking too much may upset your stomach.
- Drink wheatgrass daily:
1-2 ounces a day - Trying to be healthier & have more energy.
4-6 ounces a day - Trying to overcome a degenerative disease.
Always start with just 1 ounce/day and increase slowly.
- Drink wheatgrass on an empty stomach.
Its best not to combine wheatgrass with other food or drink.
If you absolutely need a chaser, try water or a sip of apple juice.
- Spread your ounces out over the day (ex. 1 hour before meals)
- Swish the juice in your mouth before swallowing, allowing the juice to
nourish the gums and mix with saliva, beginning the natural digestive process.
- You can chew raw wheatgrass blades, sucking out the juice.
- Remember to spit out the fiberous pulp, it is not easy to digest.
- This can be very nourishing for the gums.
Grass poultices have been used throughout man's history as a wound healer. A wheatgrass poultice can be made by juicing or chewing wheatgrass, dipping the fiberous pulp in the juice, then applying it directly to the skin. This dressing can be applied to cuts, burns, rashes, other skin disorders, or external infections. The poultice cleans and nourishes the area, dramatically aiding healing. A wheatgrass poultice may also be used to aid internal areas by placing the poultice directly above the known source of the problem.
Wheatgrass juice can be used as a rectal implant. The colon is an organ designed to quickly absorb any nutrients that might remain at the end of digestion, and is probably the most direct way to get wheatgrass juice into the bloodstream. The colon is also a relatively malnourished and toxic environment, and can most benefit from the wheatgrass. Typically after an enema (a flushing out of the colon with water), one can implant 2-6 ounces of wheatgrass juice, retaining it as long as possible.
Why Perfect Foods' Green Gold® Wheatgrass is the Best!
Perfect Foods has become the world's leading experts on growing wheatgrass, and you can tell from the deep green color, the powerful taste, and the benefits from drinking it. We grow all our products in composted soil, grow indoors under controlled conditions, and use advanced sun-simulating lighting. This allows us to consistantly produce perfect grass all year.
As well, since we use all organic materials with absolutely no added chemicals, we are USDA certified organic
Should I buy wheatgrass pounds or the wheatgrass trays?
- Pre-cut and bagged
- Weighed to 1 lb, & yields around 10 oz of juice every time
- Less messy (no soil or need to cut)
- Easy to refrigerate (lasts up to 1.5 weeks)
- Perfect Foods almost always recommends pounds for home use
- Absolutely as fresh as possible
- Lasts only 2-3 days unrefrigerated (you can cut a tray up without harvesting the grass, bag the pieces and store them in a fridge)
- You can harvest some grass, while continuing to let the rest of the tray grow
- Requires watering (light helps too, and watering an hour before you harvest will increase yield)
- Yields from 10-14 oz of juice
How do I care for wheatgrass?
The most import thing to keep your wheatgrass looking its best is to KEEP IT COLD. This means refrigerate it as soon as you can, and keep it there until you are ready to juice. The colder the better, so make sure your refrigerator is no more than 40F, but not freezing (32F).
If you purchase a wheatgrass tray, it may be difficult to store in your refrigerator if you don't have enough space. To overcome this, you can cut a tray in half and store the 2 pieces in bags. After a few days of storage, water the grass if it is still growing in soil. Remember when it is in soil, it is still alive and growing, the cold just slows it down. Water a tray of wheatgrass by bringing it to your sink, water around the edges, then tip at an angle to let excess water drip. Doing this 20 minutes before juicing can also let you get significantly more juice (its absorbing the water and getting juicy).
Alternatively, you can cut the grass and store it in a tupperware container or ziplock bag. Cut wheatgrass is negligably less beneficial than whetgrass from a tray. A piece of paper towel will help to absorb excess moisture and keep it longer. Wheatgrass, if properly cared for should last at least 7-10 days, but can last 2 weeks or more. You can tell wheatgrass has gone bad if it is significantly yellow or brown, and has a spoiled odor.
Are there wheatgrass side effects?
Since wheatgrass is a food and not a drug or dietary supplement there aren't any "side effects" in the normal sense of the phrase. There are, however, a few mild effects you can get from drinking wheatgrass, the most common of which include: headaches, nausea, diarrhea, and allergic reactions. Drinking wheatgrass properly, by taking it on an empty stomach and not in combination with other food/drink, greatly reduces the chances of these side effects.
Headaches and nausea are common amongst new wheatgrass drinkers, and often subsides within a few days of regular use as the wheatgrass takes effect. This can be due to new users not being used to the taste or drinking too much. It can also be caused by the detoxing effect of wheatgrass, as it rapidly removes toxins from the body. This is why symptoms usually subside in a few days.
Diarrhea is typically caused by drinking too much wheatgrass. Beginning with 1 oz/day and very gradually increasing can avoid this.
It's also possible to exhibit allergic reactions
to wheatgrass such as rashes, throat swelling,
or breathing difficulty. These are usually seen
in those with wheat allergies other than gluten,
grass allergies, or mold allergies. Mold can
be quite common on improperly grown wheatgrass,
so if you have a known allergy to mold we suggest
Read more about wheatgrass mold...
Is wheatgrass Gluten-Free?
Perfect Foods recommends anyone with extreme gluten reactions to be cautious with wheatgrass
Gluten is commonly known to be in wheat-based foods, but because gluten is found only in ungerminated wheat seeds (used to make flour), the blades of grass which are juiced to make wheatgrass do not contain gluten
. However, because of the chance that an ungerminated seed could have gotten into the juice (although very unlikely), Perfect Foods suggests being cautious.
If you have a gluten allergy and juice at home, always cut above the seed line and make sure no seeds get into your wheatgrass juicer. If you go to a juice-bar to get wheatgrass, ask the person preparing your juice to be extra careful to not include any seeds.
Can I regrow my wheatgrass tray after I've cut it?
The second growth won't be nearly as green or nutritious
as the first, but it can be juiced. Usually we do
not recommend this, however if you insist on it,
leave 1/3 the height of the grass when cutting the
Perfect Foods, Inc has been growing and distributing fresh organic wheatgrass in New York since 1982.
We are proud to be the world's premier growers, and hope to become the #1 destination for learning about the benefits of drinking wheat grass juice and to buy wheatgrass juicers and wheatgrass kits. Start to improve your immune system, feel young, and have more energy by drinking just one ounce a day of this chlorophyll and nutrient packed juice.
We also grow a few varieties of baby greens, such as sunflower greens, based on the live food diet.
Call us today at 1-800-WHEATGRASS or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
DISCLAIMER: Wheatgrass and Perfect Foods products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. All information is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. Please consult your primary care physician or other healthcare provider with any medical questions or concerns.